Eggs in Hell or U’Ova All’Inforno
I just love a good eggs recipe. In fact, I am all about eggs, ALL the time. I can have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So, when I came across this recipe by Mario Batali, I swooned.
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 large eggs
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Gaeta olives, pitted but left whole
- 3 to 4 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Cacio di Roma cheese
- 3 cups Mario’s Basic Tomato Sauce
Let’s Cook It:
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and chiles and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer.
- Carefully crack eggs into the pan, keeping them whole and separate. Cook until whites have set but yolks are still runny, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve eggs immediately and directly from skillet, garnished with olives, basil leaves, and cheese and drizzled with olive oil.
Photo: Fab Fit Fun