Travel Gets Great with American Express
I’ve really come to rely on the travel benefits the American Express Platinum card offers, since in an average year I’m on the road more often than not.
Here’s my overview of what’s offered with the card for travel!
Platinum Card Benefits
- You don’t have to pay for those pricy airport lounges anymore, because the card comes with the Airport Club Access Program for access to over 700 lounges worldwide, including complimentary airport lounge access to The Centurion Lounges. The new San Francisco Centurion Club is one of my favorites. There’s a wine bar, restaurant and comfy couches I cozied into with my lap top.
- The card also gets me into Delta Sky Clubs®, and Airspace Lounges; and Priority Pass Select gets me into additional lounges at no additional cost.
- Card members get one Global Entry ($100) statement credit or one TSA Pre?™ ($85) statement credit every 5 years, which takes care of the application fee charged if you use the AMEX Platinum card. It’s so helpful flying through security lines and those lengthy wait times at customs, especially when you have to connect to another destination like I often do!
- Airline Credits are the best! Once you’ve selected your qualifying airline of choice and you use your AMEX Platinum card for checked bags and in-flight meals and spirits, you’ll get up to $200 a year in statement credits. I love opening my statement and seeing a credit back on my card.
- I used this service when in a pinch to book my anniversary trip this past December. It’s called the Platinum Travel Service, and it’s 24/7 assistance for help with travel planning, booking trips, shopping advice, and other personal requests.
- I call the Platinum service option “room with perks”.The FINE HOTELS & RESORTS program offers up complimentary benefits, such as noon check-in, room upgrade upon arrival, daily breakfast for two people and guaranteed 4pm late checkout. I just booked my room for my trip to Hawaii in May. I just browsed through the Fine Hotels and Resorts book that I got with my membership. The resort I am staying at will grant me early-check in, free breakfast each morning and late-checkout.
- Two of my fave perks of the card are No Foreign Transaction Fees (oh yeah!) and Departures Magazine published seven times a year for Platinum Card® Members.
- Oh hello Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat! The Boingo American Express Preferred Plan offers unlimited Boingo Wi–Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots around the globe.
- Car Rental Privileges roll out when you enroll in premium car rental programs of Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental. Perks include skipping long rental lines and heading right to your reserved rental car, complimentary newspapers, car upgrades, and up to 25% off rentals. Each company offers different perks, so enroll with each and see what’s offered!
- Buy one, get one free! No, really! Purchase a qualifying business or first class ticket for international air travel with your AMEX Platinum on over 25 participating airlines and your companion goes along for free. Some restrictions apply, and so does availability, so book early! (And use your Platinum Service to help you secure the flights you want).
- Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance provides coverage for theft of or damage to eligible rental vehicles when you reserve and pay for an eligible auto rental with your Card. It was really helpful last August, when I was in an accident with my rental car in Arkansas. They’ve helped me navigate through all the paperwork, medical bills, and were there to liaison with the rental car company.
- It’s those little things one often overlooks when planning a trip. Having the card means that safety and security are just a (800) number away.
Note: Stefanie Michaels has been an American Express Platinum card holder since 1994, and working with AMEX to explain the card’s benefits.